Chocolate Toxicity

Description: Chocolate toxicity, also known as chocolate poisoning occurs when an animal is poisoned by the stimulants in chocolate. All cat and dogs are equally susceptible and should not be allowed to eat any foods containing chocolate.
Chocolate and cocoa contain caffeine and a naturally occurring stimulant called theobromine, which are both toxic to dogs and cats. Theobromine has adverse effects on the central nervous system, the heart, and causes increased urination. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is to the animal. For example, milk chocolate is less toxic than dark chocolate or baker's chocolate.
Symptoms: An affected animal will show signs of increased heart rate, restlessness, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Treatment: Affected animals should see the veterinarian immediately. In some cases, inducing the animal to vomit is helpful. Active charcoal may be administered to prevent absorption of chocolate in the body.

Cost to treat: $100-$600+

Breeds prone to Chocolate Toxicity include: