Grape Toxicity

Description: A toxic reaction occurring after consuming grapes or raisins, presenting health threats to animals. Renal failure is the result of this toxicity and the direct cause associated with the grapes is unknown.
Symptoms: Vomiting and diarrhea are usually the first symptoms of grape and raisin toxicity. Further symptoms such as appetite loss, weakness, increased drinking, and abdominal pain occurs. Acute renal (kidney) failure can occur within 48 hours of ingestion.
Treatment: After ingestion, induced vomiting is recommended, with the use of hydrogen peroxide or apomorphine. Charcoal pills can absorb the remaining toxins, and a visit to the veterinarian is beneficial. Often times, intravenous fluid therapy may be needed.

Cost to Treat: $100-$1,700+

Breeds prone to Grape Toxicity include: